The Soup which nourished my soul

     
"We've scores of yardsticks to measure the success of a person. But the strength of a person lies in how gracefully he or she accepts failure. And we have failed to produce yardsticks for that"

ഇതെൻ്റെ ഭാവനയല്ല, ഞാൻ കടമെടുത്തതാണ്. It is from the book "Chicken Soup for the Indian Soul". ജീവിതത്തിൽ എപ്പോഴോ വല്ലാത്ത ഒരു ബോറടി തോന്നി, ഒരു change ആവശ്യമാണെന്ന് വന്നു. Somehow I got this book and started reading (IISER ഭോപ്പാലിൽ വന്ന സമയത്തു ചേതൻ ഭഗതിൻ്റെ നോവലുകൾ വായിച്ച ഓർമ്മയുണ്ട്, അതല്ലാത്ത ഈ അഞ്ചു വർഷത്തിനിടക്ക് വേറൊരു ബുക്കും മുഴുവനായും വായിച്ചിട്ടില്ല). 

കൂടുതൽ നേരം ചടഞ്ഞിരിക്കാൻ മടിച്ചതു കൊണ്ടാണ് നോവലൊന്നും എടുക്കാതെ ചെറുകഥകൾ മാത്രമുള്ള ഈ ബുക്ക് തിരഞ്ഞെടുത്തത്. But this was extremely different from what I expected. As its tagline says, it 'opened my heart and rekindled the spirit'. ഇതിലൊന്നും 'Quotes' ആയിട്ടില്ല. എല്ലാം പലരുടെയും ജീവിതത്തിലെ ചില  നിമിഷങ്ങൾ മാത്രം. അതിലെനിക്കിഷ്ടപ്പെട്ട ചിലത് ഇവിടെ എഴുതിവെക്കണമെന്നു തോന്നി. Perhaps these may not portrays the original beauty of this book. But I feel these lines so special because they, in a direct or indirect way, somehow gives a knock to the journey of my life.


"My father was one of the most generous person I have known in my life.......He also had the habit of welcoming each and every salesperson into the house and buying something from them"
Nothing to say more. The best one to begin with. 


"Close friendship, as much as it comforts and pleases, also makes one vulnerable. We hurt each other in those areas where we knew the other was most sensitive"
But those teasing untimately end up in making the relationship even stronger. ഇതിൻ്റെ മറ്റൊരു version ഞാൻ എവിടെയൊക്കെയോ status ആയി കണ്ടിട്ടുണ്ട് - 'ഉറ്റചെങ്ങാതിയെ നമുക്കാർക്കും പിരിയാൻ കഴിയില്ല. കാരണം, ആ '.......'നു നമ്മുടെ എല്ലാ രഹസ്യങ്ങളും അറിയാം...!'


"Irrespective of what people think about me, I am what I am. 'I' don't change because of an impression people might have of me". 
This is one thing I started practicing two or three year before. ആളുകൾ എന്തൊക്കെ പറഞ്ഞാലും ഞാൻ ആരാണെന്ന് എനിക്കറിയാം, എന്ത് ചെയ്യുമെന്നും എന്ത് ചെയ്യില്ലെന്നും!! അതിൻ്റെ ഒരു സുഖം വേറെതന്നെയാണ്.


"I had never held a baby before in my life. I felt awkward. And then I remembered she had never been held by anyone in her life. And yet there was no fear in her. If she was not scared to live her first moment then why should I be fearful? She was teaching me things already!"

ജീവിതത്തിലെ ചെറുതും വലുതുമായ ഓരോ സംഭവവികാസങ്ങളും നമ്മെ ഓരോന്ന് പഠിപ്പിക്കുന്നുണ്ട്. പക്ഷെ നമ്മളിൽ അധികമാരും ഒന്നും മനസ്സിലാക്കാൻ ശ്രമിക്കാറില്ലെന്നാണ് സത്യം.


"We saw small bits of grass peeping through the small cracks in a concrete pavement. It left us thinking: however impossible things may look, there is always an opening..."

ഞാനിതു മുമ്പ് എത്രയോ തവണ കണ്ടിട്ടുണ്ട്. പക്ഷെ ഈയൊരു പാഠം ഞാൻ എന്ത് കൊണ്ട് പഠിച്ചില്ല?? ഞാൻ എവിടെയോ കേട്ടിട്ടുണ്ട്, ഈ ലോകത്തെ ഏറ്റവും മികച്ച ടീച്ചർ പ്രകൃതിയാണെന്ന്. പ്രകൃതി നമ്മെ പഠിപ്പിക്കുന്ന കോടാനുകോടി പാഠങ്ങളിൽ ഇത് ഒന്നുമാത്രം. But even this tiny lesson has the capability to change someone's life. 


"Being 'busy' and 'overworked' conveys, in our modern way of life, status, importance, self-worth. Workaholism, rather than contentment and peace, is exalted"

ഇതൊന്നും പറയാത്ത ഒരു കാലമുണ്ടായിരുന്നു - നമ്മുടെ ചെറുപ്പകാലം. അന്നത്തെ നൊസ്റ്റു പറഞ്ഞു പോസ്റ്റിടുന്ന ഒരുപാടു പേരെ കാണാറുണ്ട്. അതത്രയ്ക്കു മനോഹരമാവാൻ കാരണം നമുക്ക് എല്ലാത്തിനും സമയം കിട്ടിയിരുന്നു എന്നതുകൊണ്ടാണ്. ഇന്ന് നമുക്കില്ലാത്തതും അത് തന്നെ. ഇന്ന് 'ഞാൻ busyയാണെ'ന്നു പറയാത്ത എത്ര പേരുണ്ട്? നമ്മുടെ mentality മാറിയാൽ തീരുന്ന പ്രശ്നമേ ഒള്ളൂ...പക്ഷെ ആരും അതിനു ശ്രമിക്കാറില്ലെന്നു മാത്രം.   
പണ്ട് stage showsൻറെ സിഡി കാണുമ്പോൾ ഫോർവേഡ് അടിച്ചു കളയുന്ന ഒരു പാട്ടുണ്ടായിരുന്നു, ഇന്ന് ദിവസം ഒരിക്കലെങ്കിലും ആ പാട്ടു കേൾക്കാതിരിക്കാറില്ല - 
"ചെറുപ്പത്തിൽ നമ്മൾ രണ്ടും 
മണ്ണുവാരി കളിച്ചപ്പോൾ...."


"I realized that if there is a pain in this life, there is healing too. If there is hopelessness, there is hope as well. If there is ugliness,, there is beauty"

Yes, I am waiting for those healing, hope and beauty. 


"On your deathbed, you regret things that you did not do, rather than what you did"
I became happy after reading this. പലരും എതിർത്തിട്ടും ഞാനെടുത്ത പല തീരുമാനങ്ങളും തെറ്റല്ലെന്ന് മനസ്സാക്ഷിയെ ബോധിപ്പിക്കാൻ ഇത് തന്നെ ധാരാളം.


"Perhaps God is temporarily 'spoiling' our plan so our prayer can ultimately be fulfilled!"

The one I believed earlier too. കാരണം എൻ്റെ ജീവിതത്തിലെ പല വിജയങ്ങളും last minute surprises ആയിരുന്നു.


Now the last one but not the least. ഇവയിൽ എനിക്ക് ഏറ്റവും ഇഷ്ടപ്പെട്ടത്. ഇത് പറയുന്ന ആള്ക്ക് ഒരു പ്രത്യേകതയുണ്ട്, ശരീരത്തിന്റെ ഒരു ഭാഗം തളർന്നു വീൽചെയറിൽ ജീവിതം തള്ളിനീക്കുന്നു. 
"He had said, "It is my body which is damaged and not my mind, and I'm thankful to God for that. If I sulk now, I would be insulting God for not admiring his beautiful creation"
No, he won't give up with that: 
"'Do you know how little medical science knows about our body?' he said. "That is why I am not going to stop trying. So you will see me walk soon"
ഭൂതവും വർത്തമാനവും തകർന്ന ശരീരത്തിൽ നിന്നാണ് ഈ വാക്കുകൾ ഉതിർത്തെഴുന്നേറ്റത്. പിന്നെന്തിനു വെറുമൊരു ഭാവിയുടെ കാര്യം മാത്രം ഓർത്തു നാം ആകുലപ്പെടണം??

Comments